Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The usual & Keylime Pie

My coworker who has been really stressed out lately asked me to bake her a pie... she told me she likes strawberries so I told her I would make her a Queen Desirae pie. Unfortunately I somehow didn't measure the flour right so I ended up with this pie that was way too buttery. I stayed up really late (really late) trying to finish the corresponding lattice to this pie but alas I gave up as it kept falling apart because of the texture that was not right. Argh! It was a bit frustrating. Anyhow, it tasted ok, slightly overcooked but somewhat juicy. Another thing about making pies I've come to realize is that everybody has different expectations and tastes. While somebody told me they did not like my pie because it was too "soupy" basically juicy, my current supervisor told me she loves it when they are juicy! Wow what a contrast. The pie tasted great. One complaint I do have is that I didn't make this pie until Friday and I had bought fresh strawberries for it on Monday. By the time Wednesday night came around I noticed my strawberries were looking sad. So I put them in the freezer so they would make it till Friday. Thursday night I made this pie and I was not happy with the texture of the strawberries. The pie tasted great but the strawberries had completely fallen apart. Hm... more learning experiences.
The story behind the Keylime pie is that it was my first one! Yeay! ...and I used the recepie from the Patty Piner book Sweety Pies. Although I did not use the crust it suggested or I did not make the merengue, the keylime filling was made from scratch and using that recipe. It actually came out really good and I feel very strange saying that because I'm usually modest with my pies but I really, really liked it. My other coworker who I had made this for, had suggested a graham cracker crust (guess she wanted something different). Although the pie filling was good, the crust needed more butter to make it stick together. Although I used a recipe online from allrecipes.com it still did not hold together as much as it should have. Oh well. We'll just keep trying. The funny part too (haha, another funny part) is that I told Tobi on saturday that I wanted to make this pie again saturday night when we were expecting company, Tobi said not to make it because it wasn't really a prefered flavor. When I spoke to my brother in law Chris, I come to find out that is his favorite pie! Which is funny because by then I had already decided not to make it. Haha! Oh well... at least now I know what his favorite pie is. I send him home with a lowfat/semifat healthy version of Karson's mud pie instead. He said he would text me to tell me how it was as soon as he got home but I guess he didn't like it because he never sent that text. Guess I'll never know. Anyway, I have more pies and more pictures to post of course. Till next time.

2 comments:

  1. You should try measuring stuff by weight if the crusts are not coming out consistently. Michael Ruhlmann in his book Ratio argues for weight measurements- His pie recipe is 3 parts flour, 2 parts fat, 1 part water (by weight).

    Try with 12 ounces flour, 8 ounces fat (4 of butter, 4 of shortening) and 4 ounces water.

    You guys still have that scale, no?

    Looking forward to more pies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but the scale batteries died. :( We have to get new ones.

    ReplyDelete